School Choice Privilege Skip to main content

School Choice Privilege

Annual School Choice Notification

In accordance with the Bulloch County Board of Education's policy JBCCA: Student Assignment to Schools, a parent or legal guardian may elect to submit a written request that their child in grades Kindergarten through 12th attend another public school in the Bulloch County School System for 2020-2021.  

The following conditions apply:

  • The parent who makes the transfer request must be a parent or legal guardian who resides in the primary household with the student.
  • The student must be a full-time resident of Bulloch County.
  • Space must be available after the school’s assigned students have been enrolled. 
Available Space for 2020-2021

Space must be available after the school’s assigned students have been enrolled. For the 2020-2021 school year, the following schools are open to receive school transfer requests:

All other schools are considered to be closed due to not having available space to serve non-zoned students.  Applications for closed schools will be accepted when the request is to allow a student to attend the same school as a special needs sibling who was placed by Bulloch County Schools at a closed school due to lack of services required at the sibling's home school.

The number of spaces available at open schools will not be pre-determined in advance of the application submission window in order to allow the district to consider net effect of application approval at each school by grade and program.  

Any special programs required by the student must be available at the school requested.  Policy JBCCA: Student Assignment to Schools does not provide that the district allow for transfers to schools where special programs do not already exist.

Note: Portal Middle High School is a combined, single campus for grades 6-12; however, for school choice the available space for middle school and high school is calculated separately.

Bus Transportation Services

Buses operated by Bulloch County Schools are not authorized to transport students to and from addresses that are outside of the attendance zone of the school the student attends.  Transportation of School Choice Privilege students to or from care providers within the attendance zone of the school the student has been approved to attend are subject to space availability and approval by the Bulloch County Schools Department of Transportation.

Unless approved by the Transportation Department to utilize bus transportation to and from a caregiver’s address, the parent or guardian of any student transferring under School Choice Privilege shall assume the responsibility and cost of transportation to and from school with the student arriving and departing each day according to the school’s schedule for arrival and departure.  The principal may require any student who accumulates 12 or more tardies, unexcused absences, early pickups, or late afternoon pickups to return to the student’s zoned school where bus transportation is available.

Accomodating & Prioritizing Requests

There is no longer a lottery drawing for available spaces.

In the event that more requests are received than can be accommodated based on space, requests will be prioritized in the following manner:

  • Siblings of special education students who are required by the district to be placed at a particular non-zoned school due to lack of required services within their attendance zone.
  • Children or step-children of current full-time employees of Bulloch County Schools requesting a placement which meets one or more of the following criteria:
    • School requested is one which is within the attendance zone of the primary work location; or
    • School requested allows the student to stay in the same feeder pattern, even if the employee’s work location has changed since initial acceptance under School Choice
  • Students for whom the request would allow continued enrollment at the school of origin or the next school within the feeder pattern, but would ordinarily require a transfer due to change of attendance zone after moving to a new residence.
  • Students entering 6th or 9th grade who are currently in a school within the same feeder pattern.
  • Students with siblings in the same primary household scheduled to attend the requested school due to previous approval through School Choice Privilege or other authorization.

Other applications will be approved based on the date and time a valid application was received, in accordance with submission procedures above.

Additional Points to Consider
  • Any student transferring under this law shall be subject to the eligibility requirements of the Georgia High School Association.
  • Each child in a family must submit a separate application.  Approval of one child in a family does not guarantee approval of others in the same family.
  • Approval of students to transfer under School Choice Privilege does not guarantee that younger siblings will be able to attend the same school once they reach school age.  If space is not available at a school the year a younger sibling begins Kindergarten, their application will be denied, regardless of the School Choice status of older students continuing at the same school.
  • School Choice Privilege does not apply to students applying for enrollment in a lottery funded Georgia Pre-K program.  District procedure is to provide Pre-K enrollment preference to resident students and children of full-time Bulloch County Schools employees.
  • If your child was approved for transfer under School Choice Privilege in a prior year and your child will be continuing his or her enrollment at the same school, you should not re-apply.  
  • If your child will be completing all grades at their current school this academic year and you wish for your child to attend school outside his attendance zone as a rising 6th or 9th grader, you are required to submit a new application.
  • Children not currently attending a Bulloch County public school, including new Kindergarten students, must be fully registered with all required documents submitted by Friday, May 15, 2020  in order to have a School Choice application considered.
Transfer Request Process

Step 1:  Carefully review the Bulloch County Schools JBCCA Student Assignment to Schools policy. A copy can also be obtained at the Bulloch County Schools Central Office located at 150 Williams Road,Suite A, in Statesboro, Georgia.

Step 2:  Complete a School Transfer Request Form. Forms will be made available on this web page beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, May 2, 2020, and may be picked up beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020, from the Bulloch County Schools Central Office located at 150 Williams Road, Suite A, in Statesboro, Georgia.

Step 3:  Completed application must be hand-delivered to the Central Office or mailed using the United States Postal Service to Bulloch County Schools Central Office, 150 Williams Road, Suite A, Statesboro, GA  30458 .  Requests must be post-marked or hand-delivered by 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 22, 2020.  Applications submitted to any other address or by any other means will not be accepted.

The Central Office will begin accepting applications at 7 a.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020.  Note that the Central Office will only open at 7 a.m. on Monday, May 4, 2020.  Normal hours are 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.

Step 4:  You will be notified of the acceptance or rejection of your application via the United States Postal Service.  Please allow up to three (3) weeks for processing and mail delivery. Please contact the Bulloch County Board of Education if you do not receive your decision letter by Monday, June 15.

Georgia Special Needs Scholarship

Bulloch County Board of Education Policy JBCCA: Student Assignment to Schools  allows for any students in grades Kindergarten through 12th, including those students with disabilities, to request a transfer to another school within their school district of residence with available space, provided the stipulations of the policy are met. 

  • If your child has an active individualized education plan, and you wish to be considered for a transfer to another Bulloch County school, you will follow the same transfer request process explained in this notification as students not served under a plan. 
  • The Georgia Special Needs Scholarship does, however, include additional options for transferring your special needs child to a state school, participating Georgia private school, or participating Georgia public school district.  In order for any of these options to be exercised, the participating school must offer the programs required by the child’s active Individual Education Plan.  Students enrolled at a school operated by the Department of Juvenile Justice are not eligible for the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.
  • State Schools Option:  You may request a transfer to one of the state schools for the deaf and/or blind operated by the Georgia State Board of Education.  Acceptance into the state school will be contingent on the appropriateness of the setting for your student.  If you choose this option, you will be responsible for transportation to the state school.  Please contact the Georgia State Department of Education, 2034 Twin Towers East, Atlanta, GA  30334 (800-311-3627) for more information about transferring to a state school.
  • Private School Option:  If you are interested in transferring your student to a private school in Georgia, you may be able to take advantage of a Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.  These state scholarships provide funding that can be used to help pay for tuition costs at participating private schools in the state of Georgia.  For additional information on the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship and the parent application process, please call the Georgia Department of Education at (404) 656-2800 or visit the Special Needs Scholarship website.
  • Transfer to Another Georgia School District Option:  A school district considering a request for a transfer into its school system has the authority to approve or deny a public school transfer request for any reason.  A school district considering a transfer can deny a request even if there is capacity and a program available that is aligned to the student’s individualized education plan within its system.  If a request is approved, a school district can charge parent(s) / guardian(s) for the costs of educating a student from outside its school district.  The Bulloch County Board of Education does not approve applications submitted for students who reside outside of Bulloch County pursuant to the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.  If you are a Bulloch county resident, however, and are interested in transferring your child to another Georgia public school district, it is your responsibility to contact that school district to inquire about their acceptance of non-resident students pursuant to the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.
Points of Note
  • Children residing in the primary household of a regular, full-time Bulloch County Schools employee shall be authorized to attend school in Bulloch County, even if the primary address is outside of Bulloch County. 
  • All schools shall be considered open for children of regular, full-time employees of Bulloch County schools, provided the request is made in accordance with stipulation 8-2 above.
Key Contacts

School Choice (House Bill 251)

Data Support Department

Special Education School Choice (Senate Bill 10)

Special Education Department

Special Education School Choice (Senate Bill 10)

If you are the parent/guardian of a child that receives special education services, please refer to the school choice/transfer options under state law (SB 10) and the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship.