Letter to Parents
Dear Parent or Guardian,
This school year, your child is scheduled to receive sex education as part of Bulloch County Schools’ overall health education curriculum. We are committed to an abstinence-based curriculum which focuses on teaching students to set goals, understand boundaries, and keep themselves safe, online and in person. Classes will be single-gender (boys with a male instructor and girls with a female instructor) and will be taught either first or second semester depending on the specific schedule of your child’s school. All grade levels will participate in a pre and post survey designed to assist with the continued improvement of our curriculum and instruction. Topics covered in the Sex Education curriculum differ based on the appropriateness for each grade level. They include the following:
- Abstinence Education - All grade levels
- Respecting Boundaries - All grade levels
- Positive Life Choices / Setting Goals -All grade levels
- Effective Communication - All grade levels
- Puberty - All grade levels
- Staying Safe Online - All grade levels
- Human Trafficking Awareness and Prevention - All grade levels
- Female and Male Reproductive System - All grade levels
- HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections - All grade levels
- Reproduction and Teen Pregnancy - 7th, 8th, and 9th grade only
- Contraception and Pregnancy Prevention - 8th, and 9th grade only
- Sexual Harassment/Sexual Violence Prevention - 8th, and 9th grade only
Instruction about human trafficking awareness and prevention will also be included during this 10-day health unit. This is a state mandate for all students in grades 6- 12, but is especially important because Georgia has a high percentage of human trafficking. During this training, students will learn the risk factors and protective factors for human trafficking.
The sex ed unit will be taught at various times throughout the year depending on your child's school and grade level. Parents are invited to attend one of the review nights which will be held both first and second semester on Monday, August 28, 2023, at 5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. or 6:15 to 6:45 p.m., or Tuesday, January 16, 2024. Parents may make an appointment to attend either session regardless of which semester the sex education curriculum will be taught at your child’s school.
- Please use this link to register to attend the parent review night or contact Debbie Sarratt by email for more information.
- A parent toolkit is located on our Bulloch County Schools. View it here.
- A printed Parent Toolkit packet may be picked up at your child's school upon request.
Parent Curriculum Review Night Registration Link: Register for an appointment here.
Parents/guardians have the option of excluding their child/children from the 10-day sex education curriculum. If this is your choice, please complete the opt-out form and send it to your child’s teacher. Students who are opted-out of sex education will receive an independent study folder with assignments on other health topics and will be located in an alternate supervised location during this class period throughout the 10-day unit.