Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Medication in Schools

Bulloch County Schools acknowledges that some students may require medication during the school day.  School system personnel will administer medications in accordance with law and system procedures.  Whenever possible, parents and guardians are encouraged to administer their child’s medications before and after school hours. All appropriate forms will be completed when bringing the medication to the school nurse.  If your child requires additional forms, please notify your school. 

A. Parent and Guardian Authorization and Consent

  1. Parent and guardian consent is required for each medication (prescription and non-prescription) to be administered to a student.
  2. Regardless of whether prescription or non-prescription, the parent or guardian must complete an “Authorization of Medication Administration” form for each medication.  A new Authorization of Medication Administration form must be completed for any change in dosage of existing medication.
  3. Medication will be administered according to prescription pharmacy label unless the prescribing physician has submitted a written change order to the school nurse.
  4. Non-prescription medications will be administered according to labeling directions on the original container.
  5. New Authorization of Medication Administration forms must be completed each school year even if the medications remain the same.  

B. Delivery of Medication to School

  1. Prescription medication must be delivered to the school in its original container with the original pharmacy label containing the student’s name, date, name of the medication, dosage, and expiration date.  Medications arriving in baggies, envelopes, or other types of packaging will not be accepted. 
  2. A signed physician’s statement or order is required in addition to the parent’s or guardian’s signature.
  3. Non-prescription medication must be delivered to the school in its original container with manufacturer’s directions clearly visible.  Medication arriving in baggies, envelopes, or other types of packaging will not be accepted.
  4. It is recommended that the parent or guardian obtain a second container or bottle of medication from the pharmacy (one for home and one labeled for school) as medication will not be sent home with students.
  5. School clinics will not provide any stock medication to students. Parents or guardians must provide all medications for their students to the clinic. School nurses are unable to provide any medications to students unless the parent has provided the medication to the school and completed the Authorization for Medication or Health Procedure / Treatment Form. This includes over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Tums and Benadryl.

C. Physician’s Order Requirement

  1. A signed physician’s order is required for the administration of prescription medication to a student.
  2. Aspirin and aspirin-containing products have been linked to Reye’s Syndrome. Aspirin and other salicylates (Pepto-Bismol, Excedrin, Alka-Seltzer, etc.) will not be administered to students without a written order from a physician and permission from the parent or guardian.
  3. A physician’s order will be required for non-prescription medication to be administered more than twice a day or for more than three consecutive days.
  4. A physician's order will be required for students who require over-the-counter medication that is greater than the recommended dosage on the bottle.
  5. Allergy shots will not be given at school. Alternative medications such as vitamins, minerals, herbs or dietary supplements will not be administered by school personnel unless prescribed by a physician.

D. Self-Administration of Asthma Medication or Epi-Pen

  1. A student with a diagnosis of asthma or a severe allergic reaction is permitted by Georgia law to possess and self-administer inhaled asthma medication or an Epi-Pen during the school day, at school sponsored activities, or while on the school bus or other school property after physician and parent or guardian approval. 
  2. The parent or guardian of the student, the student, and the prescribing physician must complete the Authorization for Student to Carry a Prescription Inhaler or Epi-Pen form and return it to the school nurse.
  3. As a precaution, it is a good idea to also supply the school nurse with this medication.
  4. Permission for self-administration of asthma inhalers or Epi-Pens is effective for one school year and must be renewed yearly.
  5. Inhalers must be marked in permanent ink with the student’s name. 
  6. Epi-Pens must contain the pharmacy label and directions for the student.
  7. The school nurse will review the use of medication with the student prior to accepting the Authorization for Student to Carry a Prescription Inhaler or Epi-Pen form.

E. Disposal of Medications

  1. It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to pick up their child’s medication (prescription and non-prescription) by the end of the school year. 
  2. For safety reasons, medications will not be sent home with students.  A written reminder will be sent home with students that have medication at school. 
  3. If medication has not been picked up by the last day of school, the school nurse will dispose of and document the disposal of the medications.

F. Self-Administration of Non-Prescription Medication

  1. Middle and High School students may carry and self-administer non-prescription medications (Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, etc.) if the student’s parent or guardian has granted consent and authorization in writing and the medications are in the original container. 
  2. This consent and authorization must be renewed yearly and forms may be obtained from the school nurse.

G. Caution about Drugs

  1. Students, parents, and guardians should be aware that the sale, transfer (to include giving away, or making available in any manner), possession, or use of any drugs or medications except as outlined above is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and such conduct will be subject to disciplinary action.

H. Specialized Health Procedures

  1. A physicians’ order and parent or guardian consent is required for specialized health procedures (catheter tube feedings, ostomy care, etc.). 
  2. The parent or guardian is responsible for furnishing all equipment, supplies, medications, formulas, or other items necessary for the administration of the procedure and to provide replacements and maintenance as necessary.
  3. School nurses will not administer any products that are not approved by the Federal Drug Administration. This includes, but is not limited to Cannabidiol (CBD) oil, Cannabidiol gummies, essential oils, vitamins or herbal supplements.
  4. Please contact the school district's lead nurse at 912-212-8599 or the school nurse at your child’s school with any questions you may have concerning health services for students.

I.  Students with Diabetes and Other Chronic Health Conditions

  1. In coordination with the treating physician, an individualized health plan / 504 Plan will be developed for each child with chronic health conditions that require on-going treatments by the school nurse.