Message from the Superintendent
Learning, Growing & Finding Success
Bulloch County Schools has an educational culture that channels the collective efforts of our community, the Board of Education, our employees, parents and students. We have committed ourselves to a continuously-improving model of excellence. Everything we do, from our strategic initiatives to our daily actions work together to fulfill our vision and mission:
VISION: By 2020, we will become a school system that prepares our students to be contributing members of society, based upon their interests and abilities, and the opportunity to pursue the colleges and careers of their choice. We will accomplish this through an education model that incorporates our core values and beliefs.
MISSION: To prepare our students to find success and enhance community value.
Over the past two years, we have worked hard to align our efforts from the board room to the classroom. This is critical as we prepare to blaze a new trail and enter into an Investing in Educational Excellence (IE2) contract with the Georgia Department of Education in exchange for flexibility options that will allow our school system to be more innovative. From our individual Central Office department plans to each of our 15 campuses' school improvement plans, all goals and initiatives fit into our Strategic Plan and the IE2 contract. To constantly monitor progress, our Board meetings, Principal/Leadership meetings, and school-level leadership team meetings will focus on progress monitoring of initiatives.
Here is a list of key accomplishments from July 2012 - present in each of our strategic goal areas:
College & Career Readiness
- To more effectively launch implementation of the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards, we provided professional development to all teachers in the foundational skills and classroom practices that we want each of them to know and deliver consistently in the classroom
- Implemented the new Common Core Georgia Performance Standards.
- Helped launch the Governor's REACH Georgia Scholarship program by being one of six pilot districts and securing local matching funds to help fund college scholarships for deserving youth.
- Established curriculum directors for fourth - twelfth grade English language arts, mathematics, science and social studies to further support implementation of the state's academic standards and supporting teachers in best instructional practices and resources.
- Partnering with the Pathways to Prosperity Network to develop a community-based education and work-readiness system of grades 9 through 14, that leverages our high school programs, technical college, business and industry, and other community resources, to align our students' opportunities with regional and state (as part of the larger global picture) labor market needs. The Georgia Department of Education and the Pathways to Prosperity Network have selected Bulloch County as one of two counties in the state to build a statewide model for workforce development. By doing this, our likelihood of creating a win-win-win situation for our students, community, and post-secondary partners is very good.
Stakeholder & Community Support
- Established a strategic plan in 2013, with the input of more than 700 community stakeholders. Revised/Updated plan in 2014 in preparation for IE2 contract with the Georgia Department of Education.
- Formed a Facilities Committee of 35 community members, Board of Education members, faculty and principals. The Committee reviewed 57 facilities projects submitted by school/community representatives. After hearing presentations on the projects from each school and conducting an on-site tour of each project area, the Committee submitted 37 projects in priority order to the Board.
- Provided leadership training for central office administrators, school principals and assistant principals, and teacher -leader teams through the Georgia Leadership Institute for School Improvement.
- Became a pilot district for the Georgia Department of Education’s new Teacher Keys Effectiveness System and Leader Keys Effectiveness System (TKES and LKES)
- Became a pilot district for the Georgia Department of Education's new Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) initiative.
- Implemented data analysis software and benchmark assessment solutions to make us more data-driven in our decision making.
- Implemented more objective and stringent hiring practices to ensure we are hiring the best, most qualified candidates to teach our students.