Department of Transportation
"Bus Drivers ... the Driving Force in Education"
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Bulloch County Schools bus driver. Being a school bus driver can be a very rewarding part-time job. The steps to becoming a bus driver are listed below. Please contact the Transportation Department Safety Coordinator, Elizabeth Byrd, at 912-212-8645 for additional information.
The current starting salary for the five-hour position is more than $12.00 per hour and includes a benefits package. We look forward to working with you to help you join our team.
All Bulloch County bus drivers must pass a drug/alcohol test, medical exam and a criminal background check prior to employment.
The Bulloch County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, physical handicap, religion, age or genetic information in employment practices or in admission to or participation in any education program or activities.
Once you apply, your application is reviewed. IF SELECTED, we will notify you by mail. When you receive your notification, please do the following:
PRIOR to attending training:
- You must have a Commercial Driver License B-Permit Endorsement before you attend the bus driver training class. Our Transportation Department will host a study class to prepare applicants to take the CDL tests. (Please see the Transportation Calendar for dates and times.) This study class is held at our offices at 219 Simons Road.
- Obtain a Motor Vehicle Record (7 years) from the Department of Driver Services located on Highway 301 North. Bring both the MVR-7 and a copy of your drivers license when you report to the study class. Note: If you have more than five points on your driving record, you will not be allowed to take the class.
- Call our Transportation Department (912-212-8645) prior to the study class to inform Elizabeth Byrd that you will be attending. No walk-ins.
- Sit for the three-day CDL study class.
- Take the CDL tests at the Department of Driver Services. You must take a social security card, birth certificate or marriage license. The cost for taking these tests is approximately $50, plus $10 for each retest required.
Once the CDL has been obtained:
- Report to our Bus Driver Training Class (please see the Transportation Calendar for dates and times).
- Pass the 24-hour training program (12 hours of classroom instruction, 6 hours of driving on a school bus without children, 6 hours of driving on a school bus with children).
- Pass the third-party test.
- Take documentation to the Department of Driver Services to obtain a permanent Commercial Drivers License with all needed endorsements.